Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sneak Peek: What I Went Freezing For...

Couple of neat images I shot for a client the other evening whilst freezing... My poor fingers were numb by the time I finished this series, and I didn't even stay out very long! I shot this with a tripod and a (relatively) long exposure. So each time after I pressed the shutter release, I was hopping around (careful not to shake the tripod), flapping like a chicken trying to keep myself warm. I also had to wait for the giant FedEx truck with its flashing tail lights to MOVE OUT THE WAY PLEEEEZE? right when I had gotten my shot perfectly set up :) Thankfully this was a very speedy and efficient FedEx guy -- good man.

Photographer tip: Be aware that your camera can be sensitive to weather conditions! These days most cameras perform admirably in a variety of conditions, but when going from one extreme to another (say, the nicely toasty 75 degrees F of your home to the frigid 13 degrees F outside an office building), your camera may need a little assistance. Even though my camera body is sealed, I allow at least 15-20 minutes for my camera to adjust to the weather before shooting. I am especially careful when my camera is cold and it hits some warm humid air. The warm humid air hitting the cold glass of your lens can cause condensation issues, which needless to say is a bad thing. The most common way to deal with this problem is to simply keep a large Ziplock bag with you, and before going from cold to warm, pop your camera in there and seal it up. The cold dry air will create a "bubble" around your camera, and allows for a more gradual temperature and humidity adjustment.

No comments: