Thursday, June 30, 2011

So Many Shoots, So Little Time to Blog (Missouri Town 1855)


I adore maintaining this photoblog because it makes me feel like I have a connection with you, dear reader. But I have to admit that sometimes I simply run a little behind on the posts. Just recently, I logged well over 2,000 shots in one week... whew!

Here is a perfect example of some landscape work I did which I simply haven't had a chance to post here. Those of you who follow me on Facebook may recognize a couple of them, as I often post exclusive first looks for my friends there...



I took a weekend jaunt over to Missouri Town 1855 this spring, when the leaves were new and the grass was sweet. It was full of incredible character and sense of place and I captured some stark scenes as well as truly lovely scenes of pastoral peace.

I found the forge absolutely fascinating as well. This man was a true worker of the anvil and not merely a character actor. The blacksmiths there make all the ironworks for the entire village, including the hinges, pulls, horseshoes, etc., thereby preserving the knowledge and practice of a time-honored trade.

 Master Blacksmith was also an excellent storyteller, entertaining us with a tale of how an old raccoon hide ended up nailed to the wall of his shop... turned out a mighty wind blew Br'er Raccoon right out of his hide and he ran away naked, leaving his skin behind for Master Blacksmith to tack up on the wall (with a nail of his own making, I might add)!

No comments: