Sunday, June 5, 2011

Just for Fun: Time Lapse Chicks!

I had a fun opportunity to do my very first time-lapse photo project recently with my son's kindergarten class. To learn about a life cycle, the class was hatching some baby chicks in an incubator. My son's teacher (who is absolutely the best kindergarten teacher on the planet -- we love you, Mrs. P.!) sent out an email announcing that the class was "expecting" some babies. Because an egg can take anywhere from 2 - 12 hours to hatch, this was a perfect opportunity to use the time-lapse function. I arranged to come and set up my camera and photograph some of the hatchings.

It was somewhat difficult to shoot, as the eggs needed to be kept warm and the incubator had only a small window through which I could shoot. But it was still so great to share this experience with my son and all his friends! Here is the final video, assembled from over 900 images shot over several hours. I think it's cool how you can see the chick pecking a straight line across its shell from the inside before it bursts out!



This was so fun, I hope to do some more time-lapse photography soon!

No comments: