Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Be Striking. What does that mean?

I haven't done a personal philosophy post in a while, but I wanted to share this true story that has led me to embrace what it means to Be Striking.

My best friend from high school, Jessica, is absolutely beautiful inside and out. Of course, being beautiful on the inside was what made us BFFs, because she was always there for me, laughed with me, cried with me, got crazy with me (but kept me from going TOO crazy iykwim) :-)

But Jess was also a hottie. Really cute figure, fantastic glossy thick hair and - pay attention- lovely full lips that are just made for bright red lipstick. Angelina Jolie ain't got nuthin' on my friend Jess.

Now here's the thing... I cannot wear red lipstick to save my life. Seriously.

Oh, how I wanted to wear red lipstick the way Jess did! When Jess wore red lipstick, she looked polished and sexy and sophisticated. When I wore red lipstick, I just looked ridiculous and slightly creepy, like Heath Ledger's Joker.

I tried all the different shades but it didn't matter - red lipstick just looks awful on me. I was rather depressed about this until one day out of the blue Jess said to me, "Oh, I wish I could do that glowing natural look the way you do! When I try to do that, I just end up looking pale and washed out."

BOING! And that's when it dawned on me - all the time I'd been wishing I could wear red lipstick, Jessica was wishing that she could do natural. Neither style is 'better' than the other - we both had plenty of dates and boyfriends. When we went out clubbing, we had no shortage of guys wanting to dance with us.

So the moral of this story is to embrace who you are and how you look. Don't try to copy someone else's style, especially for your pictures. Find your own look, dress that way and do your makeup in a way that makes you feel like your most beautiful incredible self.

If you do that, I absolutely guarantee that you will truly...

Be Striking!

No comments: